Prayer: O Jesus, let me press close to you and be healed.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus, surrounded by crowds and the woman secretly touching His garment.)
This story contains excellent teachings about healing. The woman has been suffering for twelve years. Many people touch Jesus (as the disciples make clear) but only the woman touches him with faith. Since we have the story with many details, she must have been a member of Mark’s community.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
As they were going, a woman with a flow of blood who had suffered for twelve years came up behind him and touched the tassel of his garment. “If I just touch his garment, I shall get well.” Jesus turned around and saw her and said, “Courage, daughter, your faith has restored you to health.” That very moment, the women got well.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. This woman’s world was spiraling downward. Twelve years of hopelessness.
2. She finds new hope in Jesus. “If I just touch his garments, I will be healed.”
3. God’s power goes forth from Jesus.
4. He turns to the woman, giving her all of his attention.
5. She hears Jesus’ own words telling her that she has acted correctly.
6. He praises her faith and guarantees that her healing is true.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, so much of my life spirals downward.
2. You give me new hope, even after years of suffering.
3. Your presence draws me close, fills me with faith and leads me to touch you.
4. Your power goes out to me. I will never be the same.
5. You give me your complete attention. You speak to me. You encourage me.
6. Jesus, you assure me that Your power will last forever.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. In all my sufferings, I will look to Jesus for help.
2. I will seek to experience his presence.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
If I just touch his garment, I will be healed.