Prayer – Lord Jesus, let me touch you in faith so your power goes out to me.
Imagination – (Picture the crowds pressing upon Jesus while the woman touches his garment.)
This story has so many details (bleeding, twelve years, many doctors, wasted money and even the woman’s thoughts), that the woman herself was obviously the source of this information. She, also was a member of Mark’s Church.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
A woman had suffered with an issue of blood for twelve years, receiving treatment from many doctors and exhausting her money. Yet, she grew worse. Having heard about Jesus, she came up behind him and touched his garment saying, “If I but touch his garment, I will be made whole.”
Immediately, the flow of blood dried up and she felt in her body that she was healed of the sickness. Jesus, knowing that some power had gone forth from him, turned to the crowd and asked, “Who touched my garments?” His disciples said, “You see the crowd pressing upon you, and you ask, ‘Who has touched me?’”
He looked around to see who it was. Trembling and fearful, the woman fell down before Jesus and told him the whole story. He said, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be free of this illness.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The woman “heard about Jesus.” Her faith came from hearing these gospel stories.
- Many press upon Jesus, but physical contact is not enough to receive the blessing.
- Many people touch Jesus but this woman touches him with faith.
- Her actions violate Jewish law. Her flow of blood made her unclean. However, her faith overcame these legal barriers.
- Jesus recognizes the difference between the crowd pressing in and the woman’s touch.
- He explains that her faith opened the door to his powers.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I know your gospel stories. Stir me to lively faith.
- Jesus, I will press in. I will come close and draw near.
- I will touch you in faith. Your power will go forth and I will be changed.
- Dry up my sins, Jesus. Let my sorrows stop flowing. Heal my emotions and my body.
- You welcome me. You stir my faith. You invite me to come. Your power goes forth and I am a new person.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.
- I will ponder the gospel miracles and allow them to bring me to faith.
- I will act on these new beliefs. Jesus does not disappoint those who believe in him.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Daughter, your faith has made you well.