O Jesus, send me forth to bring your gospel to the whole world.
Picture the Twelve gathered around, listening to Jesus’ instructions.
Jesus does not have enough time to evangelize all of Israel. So, he sends out the Twelve. This is totally his initiative. He summons, instructs, and gives his powers. The apostles must trust God to provide. The villagers must respond to the message.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The urgency is great. The time is short. The gospel must be preached. So, Jesus takes a new initiative.
- He sends forth his twelve apostles, two by two. They must love each other and encourage one another in this difficult task.
- They enjoy the powers of the Kingdom. They can expel demons and heal.
- They must be unselfish, carrying only what is needed and being satisfied with whatever house receives them.
- The people have a heavy responsibility. They must respond to the message and repent. Otherwise, the apostles will reject their town.
- The apostles begin immediately, doing exactly what Jesus commanded.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, the time is short. I must act today.
- Call me to a greater level of responsibility. Give me a task in your Kingdom.
- Join me with others. Together, we will be faithful to our mission.
- I will preach your gospel and you will give me your powers. People will be freed from their sins and respond to the Kingdom.
- I will sacrifice everything for the Kingdom and be obedient to your instructions.
- O Jesus, if some do not listen, I will go to others who will.
- O Jesus, help me to persevere in your call.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will be aware of opportunities to speak about the Kingdom.
+ I will seek a friend who will join me in my task.