Prayer – Jesus, help me to live up to the greater holiness required of your disciples.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus, seated and teaching his disciples.)
When Jesus teaches the crowds, he is inviting them into the Kingdom. When he teaches his disciples, he must explain to them the greater
holiness which the Kingdom demands.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Having sat down, Jesus taught his disciples.
Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those persecuted for holiness’ sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and speak against you. Be glad and rejoice for your reward in heaven is great.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you).
- Each beatitude promises the same gift, a place in the Kingdom. Jesus
describes the gift according to the virtue that is practiced.
- The easiest way to receive God’s mercy is for you to show mercy.
- If your heart is pure and clean, you can easily see God.
- If you strive for peace in God’s family, then you will certainly be a child of
the peaceful Father.
- If you continue to be holy, even when people persecute you for holiness,
you will possess the Kingdom.
- Jesus ends in describing those adverse circumstances which lead the faithful disciples
to their heavenly reward.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you use multiple images, promising me the Kingdom in every way possible.
- You multiply your invitations and create many doors.
- O Lord, I am happy to show mercy because I so desperately need your mercy.
- Keep my heart clean, Jesus. Then, I will gaze on your face.
- O Father, I will imitate you by always making peace. Then, I will be your beloved child.
- O Jesus, holiness is my goal, through thick and thin.
- O Father, let nothing separate me from Your Son, Christ Jesus.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will ask for the heart of a disciple.
- I will choose one of these qualities to practice today.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Rejoice, for your reward in heaven is great.