Prayer – O Lord, drive out from me any powers of darkness that claim me.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus freeing the possessed man in the synagogue.)
In describing Jesus’ first miracle. Mark deliberately begins with Jesus power over the demonic world. Jesus has just defeated Satan himself, after 40 days in the desert. Now, he frees a man bound by Satan. The response of the crowd is extremely important.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus entered the synagogue and began to teach. The crowd was astonished by his teachings, because he taught with power, and not like the scribes.
In the synagogue was a man with an unclean spirit who cried out, “What have we to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth?” Are you coming to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.”
Jesus rebuked him sharply, “Be quiet and come out of the man”. The unclean spirit convulsed the man violently and came out of him. All were amazed and asked among themselves, “What is this? What is this new teaching? With power he gives commands even to the unclean spirits and they obey him.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The people notice the difference. Jesus’ teaching shows a power not shared by the scribes.
- Because Jesus is present, the demons cannot stay hidden. Jesus’ powerful holiness demands that they reveal themselves.
- With their superb intellects, the demons can see that Jesus is “the Holy One of God”.
- They cannot remain in the presence of such holiness. They must leave.
- Jesus is almighty and the demons must submit to his power.
- They try to cause a disturbance but they cannot harm the man. Their disruptive actions only prove the reality of Jesus’ power.
- Demons are very real. They are not products of man’s imagination.
- The people get the message. They have just witnessed divine power casting out demonic power.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, let your teaching have full authority in my life.
- Use your powers. Set me free.
- O Jesus, I know who you are. You are God’s Son. You are my friend and my brother.
- You are eternal light, casting out every power of darkness that dwells in me.
- Your power is real and quickly frees me.
- The whole world must obey you. All of creation is subject to you. I, too, will be your disciple.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will ask Jesus to bind and remove any power of Satan in my life.
- I will have total faith in Jesus’ power to bless me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
He commands even the unclean spirits and they must obey.