Prayer: O Jesus, I accept you as my Lord and Saviour.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching the crowds.)
Context: In this final part of the conflict, Jesus pinpoints the problem. His hearers listen to each other and praise one another. They do not open their ears to God. Moses did not act this way. He pointed to Jesus. If they believed Moses, they should believe in Jesus.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
I do not receive glory from men. Also, I know you and you do not have the love of God in you. I have come in the name of my Father and you do not receive me. Yet, if another comes in his own name, you will receive him. How can you believe when you receive glory from each other and you do not seek the glory that comes from God alone?
Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father. The one to accuse you is Moses whom you accept. If you believed Moses, perhaps you would also believe me because he wrote about me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The Jews have formed an inner circle of approved teachers who resist Jesus because he is the outsider.
- Because they do not seek to praise God, their hearts are closed to Jesus.
- They seek their own glory and set aside God’s glory.
- Moses, not Jesus, will accuse them before the Father.
- The Christian community has discovered many sayings of Moses that point to Jesus. If they honestly searched Moses’ words, they, too would come to faith.
- They will not accept Jesus, even though Moses prophesied his coming.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, to you I give all praise and honor.
- I believe that you come in the father’s name.
- In all my decisions, I will seek only your approval.
- O Jesus, your new voice resounds in my heart.
- I will seek your word in daily bible reading.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will not value human praise. It is so fickle.
- I will cherish God’s words, “You are my beloved.”
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
I do not receive glory from men.