O Jesus, help me to believe your testimony.
Picture Jesus teaching in the Temple.
Jesus explains his purpose in healing the man. By this miraculous deed, the Father testifies about Jesus’ divine mission. Before this, John the Baptist testified about Jesus. However, the Jews accept neither testimony.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus has worked many miracles by which the Father testifies to his divine mission.
- These miracles speak loudly, proclaiming that the Father has sent Jesus.
- When the Jews still do not believe, Jesus identifies the obstacle.
- They want the Father but not the Father’s messenger, the Beloved Son.
- They are blind even to the scriptural prophecies that foretold Jesus.
- They cannot pass from death to life because they reject Jesus, the only bridge to the Father.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, your miracles invite me to believe in you.
- You are Jesus of Nazareth. You come from the Father. You are his Divine Son.
- O Jesus, remove my obstacles to faith. Make me a child of light.
- Every page of Scripture testifies to you. You wrote it that I would believe.
- One truth is certain. When I come to you, I will gain eternal life.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will study the miracles (both in the Scriptures and in Church history). Their abundance will support my weak faith.
+ I will remove my critical spirit, which often refuses to accept God’s signs.