Prayer: O Jesus, I believe that you come from the Father.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching in the Temple.)
When Jesus is in Galilee, he works miracles and receives acclaim. When he goes to Jerusalem, he finds persecution because the leaders want to kill him. The controversy centers around his origins. Since Jesus comes from Galilee, the people of Jerusalem do not accept his Messiahship. Jesus says that they do not know his real origin – which is from God.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Some people in Jerusalem remarked, “Is this not the one whom they wanted to kill? Yet, he speaks openly and no one says anything. Have the authorities decided that this is the Messiah? Yet, we know where he comes from but when the Messiah comes, no one will know from where he comes.
Jesus, therefore, proclaimed in the temple, “You both know me and you know where I come from. But, I have not come on my own. He who sent me is true, but you do not know him. I know him because I come from him and he has sent me.
Because of this, they tried to apprehend him but no man could lay hands on him because his hour had not yet come.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jerusalem leaders opposed Jesus because they would lose their power.
- Blinded by their greed and social status, they reject Jesus as the Messiah.
- Even the people remain in darkness concerning Jesus’ divine nature.
- Jesus presses theis important question of his divine origin.
- He is from God, the son of the Eternal Father.
- The Father has sent Jesus and he knows the Father perfectly.
- They fail to kill Jesus. God alone determines that hour.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, do not let me oppose your plans for my life.
- Remove my blindness and I will embrace you as my Messiah.
- Where do you come from, Jesus? Did not the Father send you?
- Jesus, you know the Father and you reveal him to me.
- Heavenly Father, only you will determine my hour of death. I will be ready.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will thank God that I know Jesus of Nazareth is my Saviour.
- In what parts of my life do I oppose God? I will answer that question.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
I have not come on my own. The Father has sent me.