Prayer – O Jesus, one word from you and I will be restored.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus with the freed man. He is now clothed and at peace.)
The gospels contain those stories which were easily remembered by the early Church. The unique feature of pigs running over a cliff makes this event quite unforgettable. This episode shows that devils always seek a resting place in material creation.
The story also contrasts the cured man with the villagers who are upset about their pigs and ask Jesus to leave. The man has a different request.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
A great herd of swine was feeding near the mountain. The spirits asked Jesus, “Send us into the swine.” Jesus gave them permission and they entered the swine. The herd of about two thousand went rushing into the sea and were drowned. The swineherds brought the news to the villagers, who came out to see what happened.
As they came to Jesus, they saw the man possessed by Legion, sitting there fully clothed and perfectly sane. They were filled with fear. The swineherds told them what had happened to the possessed man and to the swine. They begged Jesus to leave their district.
As Jesus got into the ship, the man began to ask Jesus if he could accompany him. Jesus did not allow him but said, “Go home to your friends and tell them the great things the Lord, in his mercy has done for you.” He went off and began to tell all in the Ten Cities what Jesus had done for him. All were amazed.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The villagers get a complete picture. Also, they see that the possessed man is now perfectly sane. The swineherds tell them what happened.
- Although they see that Jesus has completely healed this tormented man, they make a gigantic blunder. They ask Jesus to leave.
- They have no interest in his blessings and power. Jesus will not stay where there is no faith.
- The freed man is now sane. He sees far more clearly than the villagers and wants to accompany Jesus.
- Jesus has a greater plan. This freed man will become an excellent evangelist. He must tell his friends all that Jesus did. What a day for him!
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, do not let me be foolish like these villagers. They loved their pigs more than you.
- Jesus, do not leave. Do not walk away. Stay. Stay with me.
- O Jesus, I have seen your powers and I know your blessings. You are all I need.
- Let me accompany you. Let me be your disciple. Wherever you go, I will follow.
- How great are your plans for me. I will tell all the world about how you have blessed me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will not follow the world which always makes foolish decisions about Jesus Christ.
- I will repay Jesus for his favors to me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The man went home to his friends and told them all that Jesus had done for him.