Prayer: O Jesus, help me to value eternal life.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples in the Temple.)
Context: Jesus continues to defend his ministry as He focuses on God’s power to judge,
to raise from the dead and to grant eternal life. The Father, (who obviously has these powers) has given them to Jesus, who is
“The Son of Man”, (a title of great authority.)
Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Whoever does not honor the Son, does not honor the Father who sent him.
Amen, Amen, I say to you. Whoever hears my word and believes in him who sent me,
life and will not come to condemnation. He has passed from death to life.
Amen, Amen I say to you. The hour is coming and is already here, when the
dead will hear the voice
of the Son of God.
Those who hear, shall live.
Just as the Father has life in himself, so he has given to the Son the
possession of life in himself. And he gave him power to exercise judgment,
because he is the Son of Man. Do not be amazed. The hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out. Those who have done good deeds to the resurrection of life. Those who have done evil deeds to the resurrection of condemnation.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- When Jesus says “Amen, Amen”, his teaching is very important.
- The stakes are very high – eternal life or eternal death.
- To enjoy eternal life, you must hear his voice and honor the Son.
- His voice is so powerful that even the dead hear it.
- Jesus has the power to judge all mankind and he wants you to share his glory.
- The decision is yours. You can rise to new life.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, Your words are so important.
- You alone, O Jesus, have full and everlasting life.
- Through you, I can rise from my grave.
- All life dwells in you. You are the Father’s new blessing.
- You will call me forth and give me eternal life.
- O Jesus, I make the choice.
- I choose you. I choose your glory and your life.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will seek a personal relationship with Jesus.
- For my eternal salvation, I will trust only Jesus.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The hour is coming and is already here when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of Man.