Prayer: O Jesus, you were lifted up on the cross to save me.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching Nicodemus)
This is Nicodemus’ first appearance in John’s gospel. (He appears two other times). He is the best and the brightest of the Jewish religion, yet he has difficulty understanding this greater gift of Jesus Christ and his Kingdom.
This text comes from the second half of their conversation in which Jesus speaks to all the world about his saving actions for the whole world.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to Nicodemus, “Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up so that whoever believes in him may not perish, but may have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in him may not perish but may have everlasting life. God did not send his Son into the world to judge the world, but so the world might be saved by him.
Whoever believes in him, will not be condemned, but whoever does not believe in him is already condemned because he does not believe in the name of God’s only Son.
The Judgment is this. The light came into the world and men loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who practices evil hates the light. He does not come near it so his deeds are not exposed. But whoever acts in truth comes into the light, so his works can be clearly seen as done in the light.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- When the Israelites in the desert disobeyed, God allowed them to grow sick from a serpent’s bite.
- To heal them, God told Moses to nail a bronze serpent to a wood. Whoever gazed on it was saved. (Numbers C21)
- In like manner, Jesus will be lifted up on the cross so we can be saved.
- We experience this saving action by having faith in Jesus.
- Anyone who refuses to believe condemns himself.
- In Jesus, God’s eternal light has come.
- If the person is evil, the light will reveal their evil deeds.
- If the person is good, the light will reveal their goodness.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you were lifted up on the cross for me.
- Only your cross can save me from eternal death.
- Father, you sacrificed your Son to save me.
- I accept you, Jesus. You are the Father’s only begotten Son.
- O Jesus, shine your light. I will repent of my evil deeds.
- Reveal my heart. Make me a child of light.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will thank Jesus for dying on the cross.
- I will bring my sins into Jesus’ light.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
God so loved the world that he gave his only Son so those who believe will not perish.