Prayer – O Jesus, let me persevere in seeking your blessings.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus confronted by this mother.)
This story occurs in Gentile territory with a Gentile mother and shows that Jesus’ Kingdom will spread beyond Palestine. Mark gives a developed portrait of this mother’s intense desires and ingenuity. She is the only person who ever wins a debate with Jesus.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus went to Tyre and Sidon, and entered a house so he could be hidden. There was a woman who had a daughter with an unclean spirit. As soon as she heard, she came in and fell at his feet. She was a Gentile, a Syro-Phoenician, and she asked Jesus to cast the devil out of her daughter.
Jesus replied, “Let the sons of the house (Jews) satisfy themselves at table. It is not right to take the food of children and throw it to the dogs.” (Gentiles). But she answered, “Lord, do not the dogs under the table eat the crumbs of the children?” Jesus replied, “Because of your reply, go your way. The devil has left your daughter.”
When she came home, she found her daughter lying on the bed and the devil gone.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus is seeking solitude from the crowds – going to a distant place and staying in a house.
- The mother realizes her special opportunity. Jesus has come to her village.
- She boldly enters the house and goes right to Jesus.
- Even when Jesus puts her off, she does not give up.
- Like only a mother could do, she comes up with a reply that touches the heart of Jesus.
- His powers are so great, that he drives out the demon from afar and knows that it happened.
- On returning home, the woman sees the miracle. She believes and tells the story. That is how Mark knows about it.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, You are always near. I always have a special opportunity.
- But you are hidden in my heart. I must look for you.
- Jesus, I have all my needs and you have all your power.
- You encourage me to ask. You want me to seek.
- Help me to persevere in my prayer.
- How great are your powers. You can change everything at any time.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will see the closeness of Jesus.
- I will believe in his powers.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Because of your words, the devil has left your daughter.