O Jesus, let me persevere in seeking your blessings.
Picture Jesus confronted by this mother.
This story occurs in Gentile territory with a Gentile mother and shows that Jesus’ Kingdom will spread beyond Palestine. Mark gives a developed portrait of this mother’s intense desires and ingenuity. She is the only person who ever wins a debate with Jesus.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus is seeking solitude from the crowds – going to a distant place and staying in a house.
- The mother realizes her special opportunity. Jesus has come to her village.
- She boldly enters the house and goes right to Jesus.
- Even when Jesus puts her off, she does not give up.
- Like only a mother could do, she comes up with a reply that touches the heart of Jesus.
- His powers are so great, that he drives out the demon from afar and knows that it happened.
- On returning home, the woman sees the miracle. She believes and tells the story. That is how Mark knows about it.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, You are always near. I always have a special opportunity.
- But you are hidden in my heart. I must look for you.
- Jesus, I have all my needs and you have all your power.
- You encourage me to ask. You want me to seek.
- Help me to persevere in my prayer.
- How great are your powers. You can change everything at any time.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will see the closeness of Jesus.
+ I will believe in his powers.