(Luke 5:4 -11)
Prayer – Let me see, O Lord, how unworthy I am to be your disciple.
Imagination – (Picture Peter kneeling at Jesus’ feet and proclaiming his own sinfulness.)
This miraculous catch of fish is but a prelude to the high point of the story. While seeing the miracle, Peter receives a great light which reveals his sins. At this repentant moment, Jesus confers upon Peter his lifelong vocation – to bring people into the Kingdom.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and lower your nets for a catch”. Simon answered, “Master, we have labored all night and have caught nothing, but at your word, I will lower the net.” When they had done this, they caught such a great number of fish that their nets were breaking. So, they called to their partners in the other boat to come and help. They came and both boats were filled until they almost sank.
When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said, “Depart from me, O Lord, for I am a sinful man”. He was totally amazed at the large catch of fish. Jesus said to Simon, “From now on you will catch men.” When they came to shore, they left everything to follow Jesus.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus can bestow these favors because Peter was obedient to him.
- Peter must overcome his natural feelings that this will be a useless task.
- The astonishing results open his eyes. He sees Jesus as God’s instrument.
- In the revealing light of Jesus’ holiness, Peter sees his sins.
- He calls Jesus “Lord” and knows that he is not worthy.
- Jesus sees things differently. He wants the humbled, repentant Peter to be with him always and to share in his task.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will always obey you. This opens the door to every blessing.
- O Jesus, help me to set aside my natural feelings so I can do your will.
- Open my eyes. Reveal to me your glory.
- In your holiness, I will see my sinfulness. What a gift!
- You are “Lord” and I am your unworthy servant.
- You have a task for me. Whatever it is, I will do it.
- Call me. Instruct me. I will be with you always.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Where in my life do I not obey Jesus? I will change that decision.
- Today, I will listen for Jesus’ voice to direct my choices.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Seeing this catch of fish, Simon Peter fell to his knees.