Prayer – O Jesus, let me follow your example in every aspect of your life.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus preaching and healing).
This text presents many aspects of Jesus. We see his power in the healings, his prayerfulness in the solitude, and his humility in not desiring adulation. Finally, we see his determination to preach to all the villages.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
When it was evening, after sunset, they brought to Jesus all who were ill and possessed by devils. All the city was gathered at the door. He healed all with various diseases and he cast out many devils, telling them to be quiet because they knew who he was.
Rising early, he went out to a deserted place, where he prayed. Simon, and those who were with him, tracked him down and said, “Everyone is looking for you.” Jesus said to them “Let us go to the neighboring villages and cities so I can preach there, also. This is why I have come.
So he went to their synagogues, preaching the gospel and casting out demons all throughout Galilee.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- As soon as the working people come home (after sunset), they waste no time. They bring their sick to Jesus.
- His power goes out to all, for whatever they need – healing of body or freedom from demons.
- Jesus withdraws from the limelight because He is more at home in prayer with his heavenly Father.
- Simon and the others do not act like disciples. They enjoy the acclaim, and forget the need to preach the Kingdom everywhere.
- Jesus knows why the Father sent him to earth. He must preach the Kingdom to all the villages. Everyone must have an opportunity to hear the gospel.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, do not let me delay. I must come to you now to receive your touch.
- Your power goes out to me. You change me. You heal me. You set me free.
- By rising for prayer, you teach me your secret. You value your relationship with Your Father more than anything else.
- I will not follow Simon’s example. I will not be satisfied with worldly acclaim when I can share in your tasks.
- O Jesus, visit me today. Preach your gospel to me. I will be listening.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will not delay. Today, I will come to Jesus.
- I will imitate Jesus and find some time to pray to the Father.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Rising early, he went out to a deserted place.