The Son Frees You (Jn 8:31-36)
Jesus, set me free from the slavery of sin.
Picture Jesus teaching in the Temple.
Jesus speaks to “the Jews who believed in him” (8:31). Although they believe, their faith is too limited. They consider Abraham greater than Jesus. They want to make Jesus part of the Jewish religion instead of its fullness. Jesus stresses that he is not God’s servant but his Son.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to the Jews who believed in him, “If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples. You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” They answered him, “We are descendants of Abraham and we have never been slaves to anyone. How can you say that you will set us free?”
Jesus answered, “Amen, Amen I say to you. Whoever commits sin is the slave of sin. A slave does not stay in the house forever but the son always remains. Therefore, if the son sets you free, you shall be free indeed.”
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- These Jewish believers have limited faith and Jesus must challenge them.
- They still cling to Abraham and are not certain about Jesus.
- Abraham could not forgive sins or bestow eternal life.
- Without Jesus, they remain slaves and will be ejected from the Kingdom.
- By believing in Jesus, they themselves can become sons of God.
- They will have the right to live forever in God’s house.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, do I truly believe? Is my faith full and deep?
- To be God’s child, I must abide in your word and walk on your path.
- O Jesus, without you, I am a slave, a slave to sin and a slave to death.
- Change me, Jesus. Change me from slave to son.
- You call me to live forever in your Father’s house.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I believe that Jesus is unique, the only Son of God.
+ I will seek Jesus’ saving power in confession.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
If the Son frees you, you are free indeed.