Prayer: O Jesus, enlighten me and reveal your fullness.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus in the temple.)
In this text, Jesus does not say “I am the light of the world” but simply “I am”. In fact, he says it twice. By using these words, he claims equality with the Father, who said ‘I AM” when speaking to Moses at the burning bush.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said, “I am going away and you will look for me, but you will die in your sin. You belong to what is below. I belong to what is above. You belong to this world, but I do not belong to this world. That is why I told you that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I AM, you will die in your sins.
When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own. I say only what the Father has taught me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him. Because Jesus spoke this way, many came to believe in him.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The Father calls himself “I AM” to Moses at the burning bush. Jesus uses the same words to identify himself.
- The people reject this truth. They refuse to believe that Jesus is God, sent by the Father and equal to the Father.
- Rejecting this truth means that they will die in their sins.
- When Jesus was lifted up on the cross, the Father revealed Jesus’ divinity.
- The Father did not “leave him alone.” He raised Jesus from the dead, so all would realize that Jesus is “I AM.”
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I worship you. You are truly God.
- I adore you. You always existed from the beginning.
- When You were lifted up, stretched out on the cross between earth and heaven, the Father revealed you.
- He did not leave you alone. He raised you up.
- You are the source of my everlasting life.
- Jesus, you will not let me die in my sins. You will come for me.
- You are “I AM”. You lack nothing. All power and glory is yours.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will live this day in the presence of Jesus, “I AM”.
- I will lift Jesus up in my own heart.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
When you lift me up you will realize that I AM.