Come, Holy Spirit. Help me to say “Yes” to God’s plan.
Picture Mary speaking with the Angel.
Luke records the greatest moment in human history, when God becomes flesh in Mary’s womb. This text highlights Mary’s struggle to understand the mystery. Once all is clear, she quickly consents.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Mary knew that God called her to be a virgin. Now, the angel speaks of her becoming a mother.
- The angel explains how both are true. The Holy Spirit will overshadow her, making her both mother and virgin.
- This message overwhelms Mary.
- Because Mary must accept her privilege, the angel describes God’s miracle in Elizabeth.
- The angel concludes, “Nothing is impossible to God.”
- Mary’s human mind quickly understands that God will do the impossible.
- She surrenders completely, “Let it be done to me according to your word.”
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Father, what is your plan for me?
- O Jesus, I cannot always understand your favors.
- Mary, teach me how to search for answers.
- O Spirit, reveal God’s mysteries in my life.
- O God, nothing is impossible for you.
- Mary, engrave your response on my heart, “Let it be done to me according to your word.”
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ This day, I will surrender to God’s plan.
+ I will believe that nothing is impossible for God.