O Jesus, fill me with faith in your love for me.
Picture Jesus with his apostles.
In Luke’s gospel, Jesus visits Martha and Mary to have a meal. In this text of John’s gospel, we discover that they have a sick brother. After he is raised from the dead, they will serve Jesus a dinner. And Mary will anoint Jesus for his burial. Their home in Bethany is about 90 miles south of Galilee. To arrive in time, Jesus would have had to leave immediately.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Mary and Martha have no doubt that Jesus loves Lazarus.
- They make no specific request. They trust that Jesus will know what to do.
- By supernatural knowledge, Jesus knows that Lazarus will die and that he will raise Lazarus from the dead.
- Jesus deliberately delays, so that his disciples will see him raise Lazarus. Then, they will believe in him.
- In both delaying and in going, Jesus loves Martha, Mary, Lazarus, the apostles and the many friends who will witness the miracle.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, you love me just as you loved Mary and Martha.
- O Jesus, give me the confidence that Mary and Martha had in you.
- Give me stillness amid all my anxieties.
- I know you will never forget me.
- Jesus, you know exactly what to do.
- When you help me, I come to believe even more.
- O God, you hide so much from me.
- Jesus, I place my life in your hands.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ Today, I will trust God’s ways and God’s purposes.
+ I will try to experience Christ’s overwhelming love for me.