Plotting to Kill Him (Jn 11:45-57)
Jesus, you died to save me.
Picture Jesus with Lazarus and his sisters Mary and Martha.
Jesus has just raised Lazarus from the dead. By giving Lazarus new life, Jesus seals his own death. Raising Lazarus leads the Sanhedrin to decide to kill Jesus, no matter what the repercussions.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Many of the Jews, who had come to visit Mary, saw what Jesus did and put their faith in him. Some, however, went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. The chief priests and the Pharisees gathered a council and asked, “What are we to do because this man works many miracles? If we let him alone, all will believe in him, and the Romans will come and take away our temple and our nation.”
One of them named Caiaphas, the high priest of that year, said, “You know nothing. Nor do you see that it is expedient that one man should die for the people, so the whole nation does not perish.” (He did not say this by himself but he prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation, not only for the nation, but to gather together the dispersed children of God.) From that day on, they were determined to put him to death. So, Jesus did not walk openly among them.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you).
- After seeing this miracle of Jesus raising Lazarus, the people begin to believe.
- The chief priests and Pharisees agree that Jesus is performing miracles, and that the whole world will believe. Yet, they do not believe.
- Having opposed Jesus from the beginning, all of his miracles mean nothing. Their hearts are hardened.
- They fear that their temple and nation will be destroyed (exactly what happened because they did not believe).
- Caiaphas even prophesies that “one man should die for the good of the nation.” This is exactly what Jesus did.
- Their hatred limits Jesus. He cannot teach openly, and the people are deprived of his words.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will always respond to you.
- Jesus, how can you perform miracles and people not believe?
- How much evil happens because people do not believe in your teachings!
- O Lord, how many blessings I lose when I do not believe.
- O Jesus, You have died for the whole world and for me.
- Jesus, do not hide yourself from me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own).
+ I will open my heart to all the signs of God’s power.
+ I will be aware of the destructive power in my own heart.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Many saw what Jesus did and placed their faith in him.