Prayer: O Jesus, flood me with divine light.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus in the temple.)
After saving the woman caught in adultery from being stoned to death, Jesus calls himself “The light of the world”. He is challenged to produce witnesses. He claims that the Father is his witness, but the crowd knows neither the Father nor Jesus.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
Jesus said, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. The Pharisees said, “You testify on your own behalf.” Jesus said, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony can be verified because I know where I come from and where I am going. I testify on my behalf and so does the Father who sent me. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.
He said these words in the temple area. But no one arrested him because his hour had not yet come.
Thoughts:(Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- John has already told us that Jesus “was the light of the human race” (1:3) and that the Baptist had come to testify to that light.
- Now, Jesus himself proclaims his prerogative, that he is the “light of the world.”
- The Pharisees challenge his claim, saying that he does not have the two witnesses demanded by the law.
- Jesus correctly states that if God is the witness, only one is needed.
- They, of course, are ignorant of the Father and of Jesus’ divine origins, even though he clearly says, “I am.”
- Knowing Jesus and knowing the Father go together. Ignorance of one causes ignorance of the other.
Affections:(When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, You are divine. You are God’s eternal Word. You are equal to the Father. You became flesh and lived among us.
- I know you, Jesus. I know you are the world’s only true light.
- Jesus, if you are my light, I will not walk in darkness.
- Jesus, I am a child of the light and a child of the promise.
- I will not choose the darkness or even the twilight. My inheritance is the fullness of light.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own).
- I will leave behind all the darknesses of my past life.
- I will live always in the light of truth.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me does not walk in darkness.