Prayer: O Jesus, help me to believe that you are the resurrection and the life.
Imagination: (Picture Martha and Mary speaking with Jesus.)
Jesus speaks individually with Martha and Mary. In this way, each could express their faith that Lazarus would not have died,
if Jesus had been there. Martha also expresses her faith that Lazarus would
rise on the last day.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
When Jesus came to their village, Lazarus was already dead for four days. Martha went out to greet him. “If you had been here my brother would not have died. Even now, I know that whatever you ask, God will give you.” Jesus said,
‘Your brother will rise again.” Martha replied, “I know he will rise again,
in the resurrection on the last day.”
Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me,
even if he die, shall live. Whoever lives and believes in me, shall never die.
Do you believe this?” “Yes Lord, I have believed that you are the Christ,
the Son of the Living God,
who has come into the world.”
Martha said to Mary, “The teacher is here and is asking for you”. When she heard this,
she rose immediately and went to Jesus. She, too, said “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- This scene is drastically different from the message. Lazarus is not sick but dead.
- Martha manifests great faith. Jesus would have healed her brother.
- She already has Easter faith, a full belief in the Resurrection of body and soul.
- Her faith is directed to Jesus. He is the Messiah, come into the world.
- Mary has the same faith that Jesus could have healed her brother.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, your power is unlimited.
- I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of the living God.
- O Jesus, You bring resurrection and life, blessings and favors.
- You give me eternal life. Your glory lives within me.
- Jesus, you always ask the same question, “Do you believe?”
- When you arrive, your power goes forth.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will not limit God’s power to help me.
- Since my faith is weak, I will borrow the Virgin Mary’s faith.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
I believe you are the Christ, Son of the living God.