Prayer: O Jesus, fill me with faith in your love for me.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with his apostles.)
In Luke’s gospel, Jesus visits Martha and Mary to have a meal. In this text of John’s gospel, we discover that they have a sick brother. After he is raised from the dead, they will serve Jesus a dinner. And Mary
will anoint Jesus for his burial. Their home in Bethany is about 90 miles
south of Galilee. To arrive in time, Jesus would have had to leave immediately.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Because Lazarus, their brother, was sick, Mary and Martha sent a message to Jesus. They said, “Lord, the one whom you love is sick.” Jesus said to the apostles, “This sickness is not to death but it is for the
glory of God, so that the Son of God will be glorified.”
Now Jesus loved Martha, her sister, Mary, and Lazarus. However, he did nothing for two days. Then he told the disciples, “Lazarus is dead. I am glad for your sakes that I was not there so that you may believe. Let us go to him.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Mary and Martha have no doubt that Jesus loves Lazarus.
- They make no specific request. They trust that Jesus will know what to do.
- By supernatural knowledge, Jesus knows that Lazarus will die and that he will raise Lazarus from the dead.
- Jesus deliberately delays, so that his disciples will see him raise Lazarus. Then, they will believe in him.
- In both delaying and in going, Jesus loves Martha, Mary, Lazarus, the apostles and the many friends who will witness the miracle.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, you love me just as you loved Mary and Martha.
- O Jesus, give me the confidence that Mary and Martha had in you.
- Give me stillness amid all my anxieties.
- I know you will never forget me.
- Jesus, you know exactly what to do.
- When you help me, I come to believe even more.
- O God, you hide so much from me.
- Jesus, I place my life in your hands.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- Today, I will trust God’s ways and God’s purposes.
- I will try to experience Christ’s overwhelming love for me.
Thought for the day: (To recall your Meditation)
“This sickness is not to death but that the glory of God can be manifested.”