Prayer: O Jesus, help me to die with you.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching in the Temple)
Context: When Jesus enters Jerusalem for the final time, some sincere Greek-speaking Jews ask to see him. Their appearance is a sign to Jesus that his death, (the hour of glorification) is at hand.
Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Some Greeks had come to Jerusalem for the feast and they said to Philip, “Sir, we would like to see Jesus”. Jesus answered them, “The hour is coming when the Son of Man is to be glorified. Amen, Amen, I say to you, unless the grain of wheat falling into the ground dies, it remains alone. But if it dies, it brings forth much fruit.
Whoever loves his life, shall lose it. Whoever hates his life in this world, will preserve it for eternal life. Whoever serves me, must follow me, so that where I am, he also might be. The Father will honor whoever serves me.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- These Greeks have excellent desires. They want to see Jesus.
- They represent all the people whom Jesus will die for.
- Jesus is a grain of wheat which must die to bring forth a harvest.
- By dying, Jesus does not “remain alone.” The whole human race can rise with glory.
- The seed gives us a lesson. By clinging to our worldly life, we remain alone. Sacrificing our worldly life, we gain eternity.
- If we follow Jesus to the cross, the Father will honor us. What a reward1
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I want to see you.
- O Jesus, you died for the whole human race. We are your harvest.
- Unless I die with you, I can only remain alone and sterile.
- If I die with you, I will live with you.
- Jesus, I will not cling to a worldly life that passes so quickly.
- I will seek your life that lasts forever.
- O Jesus, if I serve you and the Father will honor me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today I will die to my selfish desires.
- I will seek the glory which the Father gives.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
The hour is coming when the Son of Man will be glorified.