Prayer – O Jesus, open my ears to hear your gospel, and my tongue to speak your word.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus healing the deaf and dumb man.)
The geography shows that Jesus has become a preacher to the Gentiles. Because the Gentile crowd might not understand, he takes the man aside and
performs a healing ritual (almost like a sacrament.) As usual,
the people disobey Jesus’ command and they tell everyone.
So many are in awe.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
When Jesus came into the district of the Ten Cities, they brought to him a man
who was deaf and dumb,
and asked him to lay hands on the man.
Taking him apart from the crowd, he put his fingers into his ears, and spitting,
he touched his tongue. Looking up to heaven, he sighed and said, “Be thou open.”
Immediately his ears were opened. His tongue was loosed and he spoke.
Jesus told them that they should tell no one. But the more he told them, so much more
did they proclaim it. And they were in great wonder, “He has done all things well. He has made the deaf hear and the dumb to speak.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The crowd initiates this healing. They bring the man to Jesus.
- They believe that Jesus can heal by the laying on of hands.
- The man himself is passive, so Jesus needs to take him away from the crowd.
- Jesus’ power comes through two actions. Placing his hands in his ears and spittle on his tongue.
- The results are full and immediate. There is no doubt that all this power comes from Jesus.
- The wonderful crowd sees their faith in Jesus fulfilled, and tells everyone.
- They have the highest esteem for Jesus. He does all things well.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I come to you in faith. Lay your hands of power upon me.
- Take me aside. Teach me. Instruct me. Work your wonders in me.
- Let me receive your sacraments often. These contain all your power.
- Open my ears. Let me hear your words. Let me understand your mysteries.
- Loose my tongue. I will proclaim your mighty deeds.
- You do all things well, Jesus. Your actions are perfect.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will have great faith in what Jesus will do for me.
- I will speak of Jesus to my friends. They, too, can receive.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Immediately his ears were opened and he began to speak.