Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Help me to take up Jesus’ easy yoke and light burden.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus inviting all his disciples to come to Him.)
Jesus speaks of “a burden” and “a yoke”. The burdened are those who
cannot seem to get out from under. Jesus is one of them. He carries the whole world on his shoulders. Jesus’ yoke is his submission to God’s will. When we accept God’s will, our daily burdens become much lighter.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Come to me all you who labor and are burdened and I will give you rest. Take up my yoke and learn of me, for I am meek and humble of heart and
you shall find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- “Come to me” is the greatest invitation in the whole world.
- Since all are burdened, all are invited.
- Jesus himself is the gift. He alone can give you rest. Come to him.
- Jesus’ yoke is your task in the Kingdom.
- To find rest, you must know Jesus and think as he does.
- You will find that he is gentle and humble. Your soul will experience peace.
Affections. (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you say “Come to me.” I am coming. I am coming quickly.
- You will be gentle, totally intent on helping me.
- You will be humble and serve my needs.
- I will rest in you and be refreshed.
- Jesus, I will gladly carry your yoke. It is so much easier than what I now carry.
- In the world, I find restlessness. In your Kingdom I discover peace.
- You always speak the truth. You fulfill all your promises. I can trust your words.
Resolutions (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will examine any worldly burdens which I have foolishly assumed.
- I will choose, instead, the tasks that Jesus has for me.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
My yoke is easy and my burden light.