O Jesus, send me forth like an apostle bringing your gospel to everyone.
Picture the Twelve gathered around listening to Jesus’ instructions.
There is not much time to evangelize Israel. So, Jesus sends out the Twelve. This is totally his initiative – he summons, instructs, and gives his powers. They must trust God to provide and the villages must respond to the message. Urgency fills the air.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- There is great urgency. The time is short. The gospel of repentance must be preached.
- Jesus takes a new initiative. He sends the apostles, two by two.
- They must love each other and encourage one another. Nothing must halt their preaching.
- Jesus equips them with the powers of the Kingdom – to expel demons and to heal.
- They must be unselfish, not seeking material comforts and being satisfied with their lodging.
- The village must respond to their message and repent. Otherwise, the apostles will reject them.
- The apostles do not wait. They begin immediately doing what Jesus commanded.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, the time is short. I must act today.
- Do new actions in me. Call me to a greater level of responsibility.
- O Lord, join me with others. We will love each other and preach the Kingdom.
- Jesus, equip me with your powers to teach and to bless everyone.
- I will sacrifice everything for your Kingdom, and totally obey your instructions.
- O Jesus, if some will not listen, let me not grow discouraged and abandon this work.
- Teach me to evangelize the whole world!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will be aware of opportunities to speak about the Kingdom.
+ I will seek some friends who will join me in my task.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
They preached the need for repentance. They healed the sick and worked many cures.