Prayer: O Jesus, anoint me with your Holy Spirit.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with the crowds swarming around him.)
More than any other gospel, Matthew quotes fulfilled prophecies, to show the Jewish members of his community that their faith in Jesus is solidly founded. He also wants his Gentile members to be familiar with the Old Testament. Here, Matthew summarizes Jesus’ accomplishments to show that Jesus is the Suffering servant prophesied by Isaiah.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
The Pharisees began to plot against Jesus so they could destroy him. Therefore, Jesus withdrew from that place. Many followed him and he healed them, but he warned them not to make him known. This was to fulfill what had been said through the prophet Isaiah:
Behold my servant whom I have chosen
My beloved in whom I am well pleased.
I will put my spirit upon him and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.
He will not contend or cry out
Nor will his voice be heard in the streets.
The bruised reed he will not break
And the smoldering wick he will not extinguish
Until judgment is made victorious.
In his name, the Gentiles will hope.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus has two very diverse audiences. The Pharisees plot to destroy him. The crowds want to follow him.
- Jesus words and miracles fulfill Isaiah’s prophecy.
- Jesus is God’s chosen one, enjoying the fullness of the Holy Spirit.
- He will be gentle and His voice will be soft.
- He will be very conscious of people’s weaknesses, yet he will win the great victory.
- All can find hope in him.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- I will be like the crowds, and follow only you.
- Jesus, you are God’s chosen one, anointed with the Spirit.
- Jesus, your voice is soft. You invite. You encourage. You say “Come to me.”
- You do not crush me. You do not quench my spirit. You are the most gentle of all.
- You win the victory. You never fail. You are never defeated.
- All the world should hope in you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will ask Jesus to share his Holy Spirit with me.
- I will ponder the gentleness and softness of Jesus.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
In his name, all the nations will find hope.