Prayer: O Jesus, when I help the needy, I help you. Show me this mystery.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching His disciples to care for each other.)
Jesus praises those who show hospitality. But there is much more. A great mystery exists. When helping someone who preaches or believes the gospel, you help Jesus.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Whoever receives you, receives me. Whoever receives me, receives him who sent me. Whoever receives a prophet, receives a prophet’s reward. Whoever receives a holy man, because he is a holy man, receives a holy man’s reward. Whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is a disciple – Amen I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.
When Jesus finished giving these commands to his twelve disciples, he left that place to teach and to preach in other towns.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Disciples, prophets and holy people serve the church and earn a reward.
- By helping them, you receive the same reward.
- In fact, you welcome Jesus himself.
- A cup of cold water means giving good example. The little ones mean new disciples.
- These, especially, need your help and gain you a reward.
- Jesus moves to other villages. He must preach to everyone.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will help those who serve your Kingdom.
- You will reward me as you reward them.
- Even you, Jesus, are blessed when I bless them.
- Send me to others, so all can be blessed.
- O Jesus, you scatter rewards everywhere. Both the giver and the receiver gain your heavenly riches.
- Nothing escapes your eye, O Lord. You reward even my cup of cold water.
- Give me your zeal. Let me search for others to teach.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will welcome those who come in Jesus’ name.
- I will search out people who need God’s word.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Amen. I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.