Come, Holy Spirit. Make me perfect as the heavenly Father is perfect.
Picture Jesus asking the disciples to imitate the Father.
Jesus continues his demands for showing goodness towards enemies. He contrasts his disciples with the pagans and, invites the disciples to higher ideals. At the end, Jesus reveals his goal. The disciple must be perfect like the heavenly Father.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus leads you to the height of holiness.
- He asks you for a universal love which excludes all hatred.
- He asks you to love everyone, friend or foe, neighbor or stranger.
- He offers you the highest reward. You will be a child of the heavenly Father.
- Your goal is to imitate the Father, who never withholds the blessings of his sun or his rain.
- You must be perfect as your heavenly Father, acting in every situation as the Father would act.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, help me to live as you desire.
- O Jesus, your love will cast out all my hatred.
- O Jesus, I want to be a child of the heavenly Father.
- Teach me to give my love, my blessings and my goods to everyone.
- How can I be perfect as the Father? The goal is so far away. I will begin now.
- Walk with me, Jesus. Show me the way.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will let everyone into my heart this day.
+ I will remove my hatred and critical spirit.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect.