Prayer: O Jesus, let your Kingdom grow in my heart.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with His disciples.)
This parable forcefully portrays the Kingdom’s power. The farmer does nothing (except planting and harvesting). The seed does everything. The farmer has no anxiety. He just goes about his normal duties. Meanwhile, the seeds grow.
Suddenly, the harvest (the end time) arrives. It is as certain as the hour of God’s coming.
God created the world and will bring all to conclusion. The believer must patiently trust in
God’s saving power.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The Kingdom of God is like a man who scattered seed on the ground. He goes to bed and gets up day after day. Through it all, the seed sprouts and grows but the farmer did not even know how.
The earth itself brings forth the fruit, beginning with the blade, then the ear and finally the full corn in the ear. When the fruit was fully grown, he immediately wields his sickle because the harvest time has come.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The parable describe exactly what happens. People place seeds in the earth. The ground provides nourishment. The seed grows into the harvest.
- The man just goes to sleep and wakes up. He is even totally ignorant of how all of this takes place. The harvest is God’s gift.
- The farmer just trusts. He doesn’t dig up the seed to see how it’s doing.
- This unknown parable opens our eyes to what happens. Every day, God is acting intensely on our behalf.
- God orders everything (yes everything) for the harvest of our salvation.
- We just harvest his gifts.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O God, open my eyes to your Divine Providence, how you prepare everything for me.
- By your word and sacraments, you sow the seeds of heaven.
- My soul is the field and I must want your harvest to come forth.
- How often, O God, I am anxious about earth, when I should desire only your harvest.
- O God, I am helpless, even ignorant of what is happening. I am a child but you prepare all things.
- Let me harvest your gifts, taking advantage of every opportunity.
Resolutions: (Possibly, you might want to make your own.)
- I will see God’s hand in all the events of this day.
- I will trust totally in God’s power sown within me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The seed grew and the farmer didn’t even know how.