O Jesus, overcome in me any desire to exclude others.
Picture Jesus teaching John and the other Eleven.
Jesus has just spoken about service within the Christian community. He now teaches about relating to those outside the Community. Jesus rejects a close-mindedness that would result in exclusivity. He wants the community to be open to all.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus’ power is all over the world. If anyone uses Jesus’ name with the right intention, God will act.
- John is narrow-minded, believing that only members of the inner circle should have these powers.
- He should have rejoiced to see someone invoking Jesus’ power.
- Jesus rejects John’s criterion that “he is not one of us.” A personal love for Jesus suffices to join everyone to the community.
- This exorcist knew that Jesus’ name has power.
- Having used his lips to invoke Jesus’ name, he cannot speak against Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, let me use your name to seek the blessings of heaven.
- Jesus, I love you. Include me among your disciples.
- Sanctify my lips so my words bless others.
- Jesus, place the whole world in my heart. Help me to embrace all.
- Give me your powers and I will cast out demons in your name.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will use the name of Jesus to cast out the evil I encounter today.
+ I will open my heart to everyone of good will.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Anyone who is not against us is with us.