O Jesus, teach me to treasure heavenly riches.
Picture Jesus teaching His disciples to treasure heaven.
These sayings of Jesus have a common theme. He wants the disciples to have a singleness of purpose, totally serving God and not being distracted by earthly cares.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Where is your treasure? On earth or in heaven?
- Why seek earthly treasures? Do they not fade?
- Have the right desires, and you will walk in light.
- Seek evil, and you walk in darkness.
- Do not try to serve two masters. Jesus says it is impossible.
- If you love Jesus, money will not be your master but your servant.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Holy Spirit, show me my heart. What treasure do I seek, earthly or heavenly?
- O Lord, remove the attraction which earthly treasures have over me.
- O Jesus, you offer me heavenly treasures. These I will seek.
- Purify my desires. Then, I will walk in light.
- Do not let darkness enter my heart.
- O Jesus, why should I choose to serve any other master?
- I will no longer serve money. It cannot buy eternal life.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will ask myself, “Which master do I serve?”
+ I will store up heavenly treasures.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
You cannot serve both God and money.