Prayer: – O Jesus, let me persevere in seeking your blessings.
Imagination: – (Picture Jesus confronted by this mother.)
This story occurs in Gentile territory with a Gentile mother and shows that the Kingdom will break out of its Jewish beginnings and spread to the whole world. Jesus allows her to win the debate so he can free her daughter.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. A Caananite woman presented herself, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have pity on me! My daughter is terribly troubled by a demon.” He did not answer her. His disciples told him, “Send her away. She is always crying out.” Jesus answered, “I was only sent to the lost sheep of Israel.”
She came and adored him, “Lord, help me.” Jesus answered, “It is not good to give the children’s food to the dogs.” She replied, “Do not the dogs eat from the crumbs falling from the master’s table?”
Jesus answered, “O woman, great is your faith. Let it be done as you will.” Her daughter was cured at that hour.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. As Jesus comes to her distant village, the mother realizes her special opportunity.
2. This is her moment. Jesus has come to her area.
3. Jesus hesitates, saying that his ministry is meant for the Jewish people.
4. She cleverly twists his words and touches the heart of Jesus.
5. Even the Gentiles should share in the Jewish banquet.
6. Jesus’ great powers drive out the demon from afar.
7. When the woman discovers the healing, she believes in Jesus and tells her story. That is how we know it.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. Jesus, You are always near. I always have my special opportunity.
2. I will look for you. When I find you, I will pour out my heart.
3. How many needs I have! How many powers you have!
4. All my words touch your heart. You hear every one of them.
5. You delay only so I ask again.
6. O Jesus, how great are your powers. You can change everything.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will see the closeness of Jesus.
2. I will believe in his powers.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Her daughter was cured at that hour.