Prayer: O Jesus, give me total faith in you.
Imagination: (Picture the disciples in their boat, surprised by Jesus’ visit.)
After multiplying food, Jesus orders his disciples to get in a boat. This prepares for the miracle of walking on the water. Jesus even communicates this power to Peter who enjoys the gift until he stops believing. The miracle gets all the disciples to adore him.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
After feeding the five thousand, Jesus made his disciples get into their boat and precede him to the other side. Jesus then went up the mountain where he spent the evening alone in prayer. Meanwhile, the boat was tossed about by the waves because the wind was against it.
Jesus came to them, walking upon the sea. When they saw him, they were troubled and said, “It is a ghost.” Immediately, Jesus spoke to them and said, “Take courage. It is I. Do not be afraid.” Peter answered, “Lord, if it is you, then tell me to come to you on the water.” Jesus said, “Come.” Peter got out of the boat and walked upon the water to come to Jesus.
Seeing that the wind was strong, Peter grew afraid and began to sink. He cried out, “Lord, save me.” Immediately, Jesus stretched out his hands, took hold of him and said, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. All adored him and said, “Indeed, you are the Son of God.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus deliberately set ups the entire event.
- After dismissing the crowds, He tells the disciples to go to the other side, while he spends hours in prayer.
- He also initiates their rescue, coming at just the right moment.
- The disciples cannot grasp what is happening. Even after Jesus speaks, they still doubt and fear.
- Peter is different. He is ready to join Jesus on the water.
- However, fear destroys Peter’s faith. Jesus takes control. He lifts up Peter, calms the storm and climbs into the boat.
- The miracle overwhelms the apostles who adore Jesus as the Son of God.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, you arrange every event of my life. You are in full control.
- Rescue me, Jesus, from all my problems.
- Come to me in the difficult moments. Tell me, “Do not be afraid. It is I.”
- Embolden me. Invite me to “Come out onto the water” with you.
- Overcome my doubts. Extend your hand. Lift me up.
- Calm my storms. Get into my boat. I will adore you as the Son of God.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will believe that Jesus guides every day of my life.
- I will hear his voice in my soul, “Do not be afraid. It is I”.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Jesus stretched out his hand and said, “Why did you doubt?”