Prayer: O Jesus, help me to seek the imperishable food.
Imagination: Picture Jesus teaching the crowds
Context: After Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes, he prays alone on the mountain. Meanwhile, his disciples cross the Sea of Galilee to Caparnaum. When the sea grows turbulent, Jesus walks on the water to rescue them. The crowd finds him at Caparnaum, obviously wanting Jesus to multiply food again.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
The crowds searched for Jesus and when they found him, they asked him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?” Jesus answered, “Amen, amen, I say to you. You do not seek me because you see miracles but because you have eaten and been filled with the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life. This food the Son of Man will give you. For on him, the Father has set his seal.
They asked, ‘What can we do to accomplish the works of God?” Jesus answered, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom God has sent.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The crowds make extraordinary efforts to be with Jesus.
- However, they are seeking him to enjoy his miracles.
- These miracles are signs of the Kingdom.
- Jesus wants them to seek the Kingdom, not the food.
- Jesus has another food which they should seek because it will give eternal life.
- The crowds have an excellent question, “What can we do to accomplish the works of God?”
- Jesus gives a direct answer. The “work of God” is to believe in him.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I will do everything possible to find you.
- O Jesus, you rejoice that I seek you out.
- However, I should search for your spiritual gifts.
- You are the food that gives eternal life.
- With all my heart, I ask, ‘What works can I do for you, Jesus?”
- “Just believe in me”, you reply.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will seek Jesus with all my heart.
- I will allow faith to guide my every step.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The crowds searched for Jesus and found him.