Prayer: O Jesus, take me up the mountain of your glory.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus on the mountain with his three apostles.)
Peter has just proclaimed in faith “You are the Messiah.” In this text, he and two other apostles have an experience which verifies that truth. They see Jesus, changed in appearance, clothed in heavenly glory. The Father speaks, just as he did at Jesus’ Baptism. These three disciples will be closest to Jesus in the Garden prayer.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Six days later, Jesus took Peter, James and John up a high mountain by themselves. He was transfigured before them and his clothes became dazzlingly white. Elijah appeared to them along with Moses and they spoke with Jesus. Peter said, “Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let us make three tents, one for you, one for Elijah and one for Moses. However, he did not really know what to say for he was filled with fear.
A cloud overshadowed them and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him.” Suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone with them, only Jesus.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- To bestow this overwhelming experience, Jesus leads the apostles to the mountain’s solitude.
- When they see Jesus’ heavenly glory, they cannot function normally.
- Jesus is the central figure. Moses and Elijah are at his side.
- The events overwhelm Peter. He rightly exclaims, “It is good to be here.”
- The cloud paralyzes them. They are completely attentive to the Father’s words, “This is my Beloved Son. Listen to him.”
- When the vision is over, they see only Jesus. All blessings are placed in him.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, invite me to the mountain of prayer.
- O Jesus, Your glory overwhelms my poor faculties. They cannot grasp your light.
- You, O Lord, are the center of all history.
- Burn your Father’s words into my soul. “This is my Beloved Son. Listen to Him.”
- Jesus, I will see you in heaven.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will find a moment today to climb the mountain of prayer.
- I will value the riches which Christ offers to me.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Jesus took them up the mountain so he could reveal his glory