Prayer: Jesus, how greatly I desire eternal life.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples)
Jesus has just predicted his passion, death and rising. Now he extends this mystery to everyone. Every disciple can rise with Jesus. They need only to deliberately take the same path. The choice is extremely important. A person can lose or save their immortal soul.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me. Whoever will save his life, will lose it. And whoever loses his life for my sake, will find it. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul? What can a man give in exchange for his soul?
The Son of Man shall come with his angels in the glory of his Father and he will repay each man according to his deeds. Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- All are invited. Anyone can follow Jesus.
- The conditions are awesome, to deny selfish interests and to take up the cross.
- The choice has gigantic consequences – to lose your soul or to gain your soul.
- What does it profit me to gain everything and lose my soul?
- What can I exchange? What has a value equal to my soul?
- When Jesus comes in glory with his angels, he will repay me according to my deeds.
- I will actually see Jesus coming in his Kingdom. Overwhelming!
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words)
- O Jesus, I accept your invitation, no matter what the cost.
- When I take up my cross, you will walk ahead of me.
- You created my soul, Jesus. Nothing on earth can equal its value.
- Thank you for saving me from hell.
- Nothing can buy my soul. I am not for sale. You bought me.
- O Jesus, you will come with your angels. I will await you.
- What is it like to share in your glory?
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will never sell my soul.
- I will think about Jesus coming in glory.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?