Prayer – O Jesus, teach me to set aside everything for love of you.
Imagination:(Picture Jesus instructing his apostles.)
A young man has walked away from Jesus because he was rich. In contrast, Peter is a model disciple who has set all aside. Jesus spells out the rewards, in this life and in eternity.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Peter said to Jesus, “Behold, we have left all things to follow you.” Jesus responded, “Amen I say to you, that there is no one who has left brothers or sisters, or fathers or mothers or children or lands for my sake and the gospel who will not receive in this age a hundred times as many homes, brothers and sisters, mothers, children and property – and persecution besides – and in the age to come, everlasting life.
Many who are first shall be last and the last shall come first.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Peter says that he and the other apostles have left everything behind.
- Jesus accepts Peter’s claim as true and spells out the great rewards.
- The early Christians were already experiencing this hundredfold. The people who had joined the Church shared all their possessions.
- By sharing their properties, people really had access to a hundred homes.
- Mark slips in a warning. The disciples will be persecuted (which they already were experiencing).
- The greatest rewards will be “in the age to come”, everlasting life with Jesus, and a sharing in his resurrection.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, teach me how to leave everything behind and follow you.
- O Jesus, how great are your rewards, even in this life.
- You give peace of soul and freedom from sins.
- You give me others as my brothers and sisters. This is the great blessing of devout communities.
- Teach me to be a brother and sister to others by sharing my life and my goods.
- O Jesus, persecutions will come. Be with me in my trials.
- What will my life be “in the age to come?” What is everlasting life? What is it like to live with you forever? Don’t let me miss out.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will make a sincere effort to detach myself today from some material goods.
- I will think about Jesus’ promises. He always keeps his word.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
And in the age to come, everlasting life.