Prayer: Come, Holy Ghost. Help me to seek first the Kingdom of heaven.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching His disciples about the Father’s care for them.)
In this text, Jesus concludes his teaching about having confidence in God. He cites the universal anxieties that people have about what to eat, to drink and to wear.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
“Oh, you of little faith. Do not worry and say “What are we to eat?” or
“What are we to drink?”
or “What are we to wear?” All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father
knows that you need them all. Seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will
be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for each day is the evil thereof.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Everyone worries about food, drink and clothing. However,
every disciple has a special relationship to the Father.
- Jesus explains that the heavenly Father has total concern for the disciple,
even for our human needs.
- Because of God’s concern, Jesus demands a total faith in God’s Providence.
- He asks one thing. The disciple must seek first the Kingdom. Then, he will have all the needed food, drink and clothing.
- The disciple must avoid one thing. He cannot worry about a tomorrow (which never comes). The Father provides for each day’s needs.
Affections. (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, when I have little faith, I am anxious. When I have great faith, I am at peace.
- O Lord, calm my inner stirrings.
- O Father, why do I not trust you? Did you not create me? Will you not provide for me?
- Jesus, your teaching is clear. I must seek first your Kingdom.
- Jesus, make me a child. To trust. To live one day at a time. To believe that God will provide my daily bread.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will examine my anxieties and why I grow fearful.
- I will place greater trust in my heavenly Father.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Your heavenly Father knows that you need all of these.