Prayer: O Jesus, thank you for leaving the Father’s side and becoming a man.
Imagination: (Imagine Mary telling the angel, Gabriel, that she would be God’s mother.)
Mark begins his gospel with John the Baptist. Matthew and Luke begin their gospels with infancy stories. John begins his gospel in heaven. Quickly, the gospel enters into human history, as “The Word became flesh and dwelled among us.” The text is used today because tomorrow will be a new beginning.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God and all things were made by him, and without him, nothing was made. In him was life and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not comprehend it.
The real light which gives light to every man was coming into the world. He was in the world and the world was made by him but the world did not know him. He came into his own and his own received him not. But as many as received him, he gave them power to become children of God, to those who believe in his name. These are born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.And the Word was made flesh and dwelled among us. And we saw his glory, the glory of the only begotten Son, coming from the Father, filled with enduring love.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
1. Jesus is the Word, perfectly conceived in the mind of the Father.
2. He is God, equal to the Father.
3. Through him and in him, the whole world was created.
4. Yet, when he came into the world, people did not recognize him.
5. Even his Jewish people did not understand that he was sent by the Father.
6. He was a light removing the darkness.
7. He filled all who believed with divine life, making them God’s children.
8. He became flesh. He lived among us. People could see his glory. That is the mystery of Christmas.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. Jesus, you are eternal. You come from the Father.
2. Jesus, you created everything. You own the whole world. You own me. I am yours.
3. Jesus, I recognize you. I know who you are.
4. Come into my life. I welcome you.
5. You are life, full life, abundant life, God’s life.
6. Make me a child of God, so I will live forever in perfect happiness.
7. You have become flesh. People have seen you and recorded your words.
8. Thank you for being born among us.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. In this Christmas season, I will reflect on this greatest mystery – the Word became flesh.
2. More than anything else, I will cherish being a child of God. This is Jesus’ gift.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
The Word became flesh and we have seen his glory.