Judas Iscariot (Jn 13:36-38)
Jesus, may I always be loyal to you.
Picture Jesus at the Last Supper.
Jesus often spoke about his betrayal. Up to now however, Jesus never revealed his betrayer or said openly that he would come from the twelve. Now he must focus on this issue. So, Jesus reveals Judas as the one and determines the time by telling Judas to leave the Upper Room.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Reclining at table with his disciples, Jesus grew troubled in spirit and said, “Amen, amen I say to you. One of you will betray me.” The disciples looked at one another, puzzled as to whom he could mean. Now the disciple whom Jesus loved was leaning on his breast. Simon Peter beckoned to him and said, “Who is he speaking about?” The disciple asked, “Lord, who is it?” Jesus answered, “The one to whom I give some food after dipping it in the dish.” He dipped it and gave it to Judas Iscariot, son of Simon.
After receiving the morsel, Satan entered into Judas. Jesus said, “What you have to do, do quickly.” The others at table did not know Jesus’ purpose. Having received the morsel, Judas went out immediately. It was night.
Thoughts: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- What a tragic story. Judas, called to be close to Jesus, becomes the knife in Jesus’ heart.
- Jesus often spoke about this moment. Now, it could not be postponed.
- Because of their simplicity, the other apostles worry if it could be themselves.
- The Beloved Disciple is so close to Jesus’ heart that Jesus tell him who his betrayer is.
- Jesus is still in control. He determines the time of the betrayal by telling Judas to act now.
- “It was night” everywhere – in Judas’ soul, in Jesus’ broken heart and in world history. This was the darkest moment.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, by your grace, my life will not be a tragic story.
- You call me to greatness. You have prepared a place for me at your table.
- Give me the simplicity of the apostles who were loyal to you.
- I will place my head on your breast and experience the love in your Sacred Heart.
- O Jesus, to depart from you is the darkest night. Hold on to me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will value my friendship with Jesus above every other prize.
+ I will be faithful to my friends.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
One of you will betray me.