Failing to Recognize Jesus (Jn 1:29-34)
O Jesus, come to me. When you come, help me to recognize you.
Picture John at the Jordan River, seeing Jesus among the crowd.
John never describes Jesus getting baptized. Instead, the Baptist recognizes Jesus and introduces him to the world as the Lamb of God. Twice, The Baptist admits that he did not recognize Jesus, even though that was his divine call.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The next day, John saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold the Lamb of God. Behold him who takes away the sin of the world. About him, I have said, ‘after me comes someone who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.’ I did not recognize him, even though the very reason I was baptizing with water was to reveal him to Israel.”
John also gave this testimony, “I saw the Spirit descend as a dove from heaven and it came to rest upon him. I did not recognize him even though the one who sent me to baptize with water had said to me, “On whomever you see the Spirit descend and remain upon, he is the one who will baptize in the Holy Spirit.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- God had prepared John well for his task. He knew what he was supposed to do.
- Although Jesus had spent some time with John, he never realized that Jesus was the Lamb of God.
- Suddenly, he receives a divine revelation. Supernatural wisdom helps him to realize Jesus’ identity.
- John fulfills his task. He tells the world that Jesus is the Lamb of God, who will take away the sins of the world.
- Jesus accomplishes that by sending his Holy Spirit after his Ascension.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, prepare me for my task in your Kingdom.
- How often you are close to me and I do not realize that you are near.
- Reveal yourself, Jesus and I will rejoice.
- Take away my sins. Cleanse me forever. Baptize me afresh in the Holy Spirit.
- Pour out your Holy Spirit. My heart awaits your divine fire.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will prepare for whatever task God has for me.
+ Today, I will ask the Holy Spirit to enlighten me.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
I saw the Spirit coming down upon Him.