Simeon’s Inspired Words (Lk 2:22-27)
Come, Holy Spirit. Lead me this day to your divine appointment.
Picture Simeon praising God with Jesus in his arms.
After forty days, Mary and Joseph fulfill the Mosaic Law by presenting Jesus in the temple. Surprisingly, Simeon appears on the scene. Luke says that the Holy Spirit was with Simeon, revealed the future to him and led him into the temple.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
In Jerusalem was a man named Simeon. He was just, devout and waited for the consolation of Israel. The Holy Spirit was with him. The Spirit had told him that he would not see death until he had seen the anointed one of the Lord.
On this day, the Spirit led him to the temple. When his parents brought in the child Jesus, according to the custom of the law, he took him in his arms and blessed God.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Simeon totally dedicated his life to God.
- He is just, devout and awaiting the consolation of Israel.
- Even more important, the Spirit of God is upon him.
- The Spirit had spoken to him, promising that he would see the Messiah.
- Simeon is not a priest and has no duty to remain in the temple. He is guided by the Spirit.
- The Spirit says, “Go quickly to the temple, Simeon. Today is the day.”
- He keeps his divine appointment. He is at the right place at the right time, the very moment when the parents bring in the child.
- He receives his promised gift, seeing and holding the Messiah.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O God, I will be devout and await your kingdom.
- O Jesus, let your Spirit anoint me.
- Help me to believe your promises to me.
- When your Spirit speaks, I will listen. When he leads, I will follow.
- O God, let your inner stirrings move me to the right place at the right time.
- Jesus, someday I will see you and hold you.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ With God’s help, I will be just and devout today.
+ Today, I will open my heart to the Spirit’s promptings.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
On this day, the Spirit led Simeon to the temple.