Peter’s Call (Lk 5:1-11)
O Jesus, call me to serve you.
See Peter on his knees before Jesus in the boat.
Peter has witnessed many of Jesus’ miracles but this miracle is unique. Peter is a fisherman. He knows that filling both boats with fish is impossible in the daylight. This is the perfect miracle. It drives Peter to his knees.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to Peter, “Go out into the deep waters and lower your nets.” Peter replied, “Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing. However, at your command, I will lower the nets.”
When they did this, they caught a great number of fish and their nets broke. They called to their partners in the other boat. They filled both boats so that they were in danger of sinking. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said, “Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.”
Great astonishment at the catch of fish seized him and all who were with him. Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid, from now on you will be catching men.” Bringing their ships to land, they left everything and followed Jesus.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Peter’s boat and Peter’s heart were empty before Jesus acted.
- After catching the fish, Peter experiences a fullness which he cannot explain.
- Jesus of Nazareth stands at the center of this story. He has brought about the great catch of fish.
- Peter realizes that he is “a sinful man.” Wanting to resolve his pain, he asks Jesus to depart.
- Jesus has a better solution. He invites Peter into a new holiness and a new task.
- Peter will be a “fisher of men.” This great call gets the disciples to leave everything behind.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, I am empty. I have fished all night and caught nothing.
- My world, my career and my human goals do not fill me.
- I will obey you and put out deeper into the devout life.
- Suddenly, my little boat has your abundant fullness.
- O Lord, I cannot handle all my feelings. Depart from me.
- As I kneel at your feet, Jesus, I hear you call me to serve your Kingdom.
- For you, everything is left behind. Everything!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ For a few minutes today, I will take my boat into the ocean of prayer.
+ I will accept God’s holy light, no matter what it reveals.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Depart from me, O Lord, for I am a sinful man.