Sending Out the Twelve (Mt 10:7-15)
O Jesus, send me forth like an apostle.
Picture the Twelve gathered around, listening to Jesus’ instructions.
There is not much time to evangelize Israel, so Jesus sends out the Twelve. This is totally his initiative. He summons, instructs, and gives his powers. They disciples must trust God to provide and the villages must respond to the message. Urgency fills the air.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to his disciples, “As you go, make this announcement, ‘The reign of God is at hand.’ Cure the sick, raise the dead, heal the lepers and expel demons. The gift you have received, give as a gift. Provide yourselves with neither gold nor silver nor copper in your belts; no traveling bags, no change of shirt, no sandals, no walking stick.
Look for a worthy citizen in every town or village you come to and stay with him until you leave. As you enter his home bless it. If the home is deserving, your blessing will descend on it. If not, your blessing will return to you.
If anyone does not receive you, leave that town and shake the dust from your feet. It will go easier for Sodom and Gomorrah on judgment day than for that town.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- There is great urgency. The time is short. The gospel must be preached.
- Jesus takes a new initiative. He pours out his zeal upon the Twelve.
- They go forth two by two, showing love for each other and encouraging each other.
- They enjoy the powers of the Kingdom – to expel demons, to heal, and to raise the dead.
- They must be unselfish, being satisfied with whatever house receives them.
- They will bless greatly whoever welcomes them.
- The village must respond to their message. Otherwise, the apostles will reject them.
- The final judgment will be severe, worse than Sodom and Gomorrah.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, the time is short. I must act today.
- Fill my heart with your zeal and holy desires.
- Call me to a greater level of responsibility.
- Join me with others. Together, we can be faithful.
- Give me your powers. I will free people and they will believe.
- O Lord, I will sacrifice everything for your Kingdom.
- O Jesus, if some will not listen, I will go quickly to others.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will be aware of opportunities to speak about the Kingdom.
+ I will seek a friend who will join me in my task.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Make the announcement, “The reign of God is at hand.”