O Jesus, send the Spirit of the Father upon me.
Picture Jesus teaching in the synagogue.
Having overcome Satan’s three temptations, Jesus begins his public ministry. Other gospels record this visit to the synagogue but Luke gives it preeminence. This is Jesus’ inauguration address and highlights all the themes of his preaching.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus loved to preach in the synagogue where good people, eager for God’s word, gathered.
- Jesus explains the source of his power. The Holy Spirit has come upon him.
- Because his reputation had spread, all eyes were on him.
- He chooses a text which outlines his work. He will preach and set free.
- Every group (the poor, the captives, the blind) will receive the favors.
- His coming establishes an extended time of God’s favor for all Israel.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I know your reputation and I desire your favor.
- The Spirit of the Lord is upon you. You are the Holy One.
- I am poor. Preach your gospel to me. I am a captive. Set me free.
- I am blind. Help me to see.
- Your time of favor extends to all the years of my life.
- I will not delay. I will not put off accepting you as my King.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will be faithful to my reading of Scripture.
+ Today, I will ask Jesus for the Holy Spirit.