O Jesus, give me bread to eat from the heavenly table.
Picture Jesus with his disciples teaching the crowds.
After Jesus multiplies the food and the people seek him out, he gives a lengthy teaching on heavenly bread. This heavenly bread is both his teaching and the Eucharist, his flesh and blood.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The crowd wants more signs.
- Jesus has already given them enough signs.
- So, he demands that they have faith in him.
- They want earthly bread, like the father provided for the Israelites.
- Now, the Father has sent Jesus, the true heavenly bread.
- Finally, the crowds seek the right bread, “Give us this bread always.”
- This bread is already given. Jesus is here.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I do not need signs. I need only you.
- You will provide my daily bread. Why am I anxious?
- You have come down from heaven, a gift of the Holy Spirit through the Virgin Mary.
- O Jesus, give me always the bread of your presence.
- I will come to you and will never hunger again.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will go to mass every day if possible.
+ I will trust God for my daily bread.