O Jesus, teach me to learn from the Father.
Picture Jesus teaching the crowds.
Jesus continues to speak about the Israelites in the desert. Just as they murmured against Moses, Jesus’ audience is murmuring against him. Yet, Jesus is the bread of life, ensuring that we will live forever.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Before receiving the manna, their ancestors murmured.
- This crowd also murmurs because they cannot believe what Jesus promises.
- Their minds do not grasp this mystery and they refuse to listen.
- They do not believe that Jesus has seen the Father and speaks his word.
- These listeners are helpless – unable to grasp and unwilling to learn.
- The heavenly bread will do them no good.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, how patient you are with me when I murmur.
- O Father, instruct me. My own intellect cannot absorb this mystery.
- Jesus, draw me to the Father.
- O Jesus, you have seen the Father and you reveal him to me.
- Jesus, raise me up on the last day.
- Nourish me, O Bread of Life, and I will live forever.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will receive Holy Communion as often as possible.
+ I will let the Father draw me into this mystery.