O Jesus, let me seek the Bread of life everlasting.
Picture Jesus teaching the crowds.
After Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes, he prays alone on the mountain. Meanwhile, his disciples cross the Sea of Galilee to Capernaum and Jesus walks on the water to rescue them. In this gospel, the crowd finds him at Capernaum, obviously wanting Jesus to multiply food again.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The crowds make extraordinary efforts to be with Jesus.
- They want his miracles.
- The miracles are signs of the Kingdom.
- Jesus wants them to seek the Kingdom, not the signs.
- Jesus has a special food which they should seek. It will give eternal life.
- The crowds have an excellent question. How do they accomplish the works of God?”
- Jesus gives a direct answer. The “work of God” is “to believe in him.”
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I will do everything possible to find you.
- You welcome me and rejoice that I have come.
- Jesus, you give me signs so I keep searching.
- I will search for the food that gives eternal life.
- With all my heart, I ask, “What works can I do for you, Jesus?”
- He says, “Just believe in me.”
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ Today, I will seek Jesus with all my heart.
+ I will hunger and thirst for Holy Communion.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
The crowds searched for Jesus and found him.